Friday, April 7

What do you think this is, a respectable profession or something?

Steven Spielberg.

The name alone evokes awe, inspiration and emotion from millions of fans the world over. Steven Spielberg directed movies like "Schindler's List" and "Saving Private Ryan" and has been referenced in probably every film book or film geek movie ever created, not to mention almost every episode of the former WB-hit "Dawson's Creek." In other words, he's Steven Spielberg. THE Steven Spielberg.

And as much of a fan as I am of reality TV, it's certainly not the home of people like Steven Spielberg. Spielbergs don't make reality TV, they don't star in reality TV and up until now I probably would've said that they didn't even WATCH reality TV.

I was wrong.

Spielberg announced this week that he is about to embark on his own reality TV endeavor with mogul and reality television veteran Mark Burnett. Together they will create "On the Lot," a competition to air on Fox next season in which 16 finalists from a nationwide search will compete for a studio deal.

According to the Fox network, the group of competitors will be divided into teams and then will have to produce a short film every week they are there. Each week will assign the group a different genre of film, ranging from comedy to horror and the group will be able to enlist the help of professional writers, actors and crew. What isn't clear is if the contestants have unlimited resources, and also if this will be "Survivor" style series where the potential filmmakers will vote each other off.

Frankly, I don't care. I'm so disappointed in Steve that I can't even pretend to be excited about his new venture into the corrupt world of reality television. I love it but that doesn't mean I'm going to encourage my children to sign up for "Flavor of Love"! Call me crazy, but I'm the type of person who likes those plates with the divider thingys so my food doesn't touch each other--this is kind of like that. Please back out, Spielberg. For God...for your country...for me. Some things are just not meant to be combined.


No comments:


"You don't even know the difference between right and wrong anymore...it's just sad"